Sunday, March 07, 2010

i ♥ books! part III

my very very precious little find....
I chanced upon this on amazon one day.. and instantly, i bought it... at the moment... Price was not a problem.. and... indeed.. it was unbelievably affordable.... The condition of the book was also not important anymore.... it arrived to my friend's place in the states (where i had it shipped to), nicely packed. my friend opened it, just as i did eventually to find...
An aged book, a slightly torn spine, brown and stained pages and a penetrating smell of maturity.

Written by Romola Nijinsky, the wife of Vaslav Nijinsky. She wrote the biography of her late husband, Vaslav Nijinsky, the male classical ballet extraordinaire of Ballets Russes. He was probably the first male dancer to set the male dancer status on the performing stage, he was also the one who challenged the classical ballet vocabulary to new heights. He invented movements that caused a scandalous uproar in Paris Opera House in 1913's production of Le Sacre du Printemps.
This book is personal, written by the avid fan of his, the faithful caregiver in his final years and supporter throughout. Pictured here, the family of Nijinsky.

Published in 1934, this book braved the 2nd World War, across lands and seas, and it is now in my possession. :)
cost? i would say priceless...but it did came with a price, that was shocking to me...
it costs US$5.00, and US$3.00 for shipping. Barely US$10.00 in total. i do question and wonder the accuracy of this book, but it is the story of a man, written by his wife; it bound to have a slight amount of romanticized facts.
nevertheless... everytime I see this book, everytime I smell it's rustic age, I am thankful that 'one man's junk, is another man's treasure.'

No comments: